Sunday, November 16, 2014

Dream

I just woke up from a dream.

That sounds like a cool and ominous opening to a blog much like this one, but I mean it.  I just woke up.

I dreamt that my best friend and I were at some crazy mall that had more than one comic store and an upstairs.  A parade of mascots with large heads and furry bodies were walking and dancing through the middle of the mall to the delight of some and the irritation of others. 

I was looking around and didn't find anything.  I found my buddy talking to one of my long-time idols in art.  They were talking about engraving a name plate, but I don't think I learned what the plate was for.

He offered to autograph the comics he drew if I brought them to him.  So I ran.  I had to find a book by this artist because it was closing time and I'd probably never get this opportunity again, ever.  But everyone was closed.  No one had what I needed. 

I think that last line is a good place to stop and probably the most important line of the entire entry.

What I mean by that is life is so much better when you aren't counting on someone else.  You want something, you work for it.  You don't give up until you get there.  As I said yesterday, I've a long history of getting bogged down in the day-to-day activities and not staying focused on what the ultimate goal.

The ultimate goal should be whatever you want out of life.  Imagine Bruce Wayne, age six or eight or whenever, sitting there between the smoking corpses of his parents, tears beading up on his eyes and beads strewn across the pavement.  He vowed right then he would fight crime.  Twenty years later, he is the Batman and fighting for justice.  He got there through hard work and that's how you win in life.

I don't really think the dream was anything more than a hodge podge of things I've been thinking about lately, but I do think the representation can be a lot bigger, once you look beneath the surface.  The goal is clear and the course is set. 

No comments:

Post a Comment